Ice Cube of NWA (do not refer to him as the dad in “Are We There Yet” or we will smack you) is starting a 3-on-3 half-court Basketball league for retired NBA players. Some retired basketball players that have already committed are Allen Iverson (player & coach), Kenyon Martin, Chauncey Billups, Stephen Jackson, Rashard Lewis, Jermaine O’Neal, Jason Williams (White Chocolate), Mike Bibby, and Bonzi Wells. Committed coaches include Gary Payton and Ice-Man George Gervin. So far there are 8 expected Basketball teams.
Iverson was actually quoted saying “When I got the call it was a no-brainer, it’s Ice … you don’t turn that down. That’s success looking you right into your eyes. I just wanted to be a part of it and I hope that me being a part of it makes it a success like everything he’s been doing in his life.” Can’t say that I am surprised about AI wanting to be apart of the game of Basketball.
Here are some notes regarding how the league will be played:
- Games will be played in the half-court because these dudes are old, lazy and don’t want to get back on a fast break.
- Will feature 4-point shots, designated by three large circles several feet beyond the traditional 3-point line because everyone retired thinks they can out shoot Stephen Curry and Klay Thompson and nobody wants to scrap for a rebound these days.
- Games will be played to 60 points and there will be a seven-minute halftime once a team reaches 30 points again because they are old men, remember that. Ice Cube doesn’t want torn ACLs or Heart-Attacks on the court.
- Ex-professional basketball players over the age of 30 will be eligible to play. Note – If you are 30, not in the NBA and still are looking to make money playing ball, go anywhere abroad dude. Look at what Stephon Marbury has been doing for the Beijing Ducks!
- Teams will consist of a player/captain and four teammates and there will be a draft in March. A bench is much needed because you know sure as hell these dudes gonna need a breather, a hit of ganja, a Coors Light and maybe some Hennessy because HennyThing is Possible.
- League play will start on June 24 and conclude on Aug. 12 with games being played every Saturday in different cities. All teams will play games on each Saturday. This makes the Summer even better because I know 95% of you could care less about a Mariners vs Rangers Baseball Game on Saturday at 3pm. I think attending one of these games has to be on my bucket list of games to attend, right up there with the Super Bowl, World Series (of Poker) and Olympic Curling.
- Players will receive 52 percent of league revenue. I think a lot of these guys would play for free anyways for the love of the game but when you add the advertising dollars incentives from rogaine and viagra, I think it’s a done deal.
Now here’s the fun part. Who do you want on the court for your starting 3? Yeah the obvious answers would be Jordan, Bird, Magic ETC, but that’s not all that fun. Albeit, Jordan is 100000% itching to play some basketball, shit talk and put in the work on some of these dudes.
Here are some of the Basketball teams that us here at EntryRevel would like to see on the court
Team “Hated Collegiate White Guys” (Just what everyone wanted)
- Gerry McNamara
- Eric Devendorf
- Christian Laettner
Team “Might Actually Kill You” (I wonder how many technical fouls they’ll receive)
- Dennis Rodman
- Rasheed Wallace
- Kevin Garnett
Team “Number One Overall Draft Pick” (Let’s give them one more shot)
- Kwame Brown
- Michael Olowokandi
- Elton Brand (Would love to see some dirty plays like below)
Contributor Cat Noble’s Team
- Richard (RIP) Hamilton – “All about the fashion impact of that face mask”
- Tayshaun Prince – “Because everyone needs some royalty on their squad”
- Shane Battier – “Scholar and hooper = dream man (apparently)
Boss Man HeadHuncho TeeTime’s Team (Ask him who his favorite CBB team is)
- Khalid El-Amin
- Jake Voskul
- Ray Allen
- Ben Wallace
- Tracy McGrady (T-Mac)
- Jason (White Chocolate) Williams
Cody Latchford’s Team (@BabyLatch)
- Jason Richardson
- Michael Reed
- Tim Duncan
Tj Cook’s Team (Probably the best team on the board)
- Chauncey Billups
- Kevin Garnett